Regulated Entities Under the Packers and Stockyards Act

Entities Registered and Bonded Under the Packers and Stockyards Act

Note: These lists include certain regulated entities subject to the Packers and Stockyards Act - those that are required to maintain a bond (market agencies, dealers, and packers) and those subject to the statutory trust provisions (bonded packers and live poultry dealers). The lists and bond amounts are current as of the date listed on the linked file. Once you open a file you can use the "Find" option under the "Edit" menu to locate specific regulated entities. The listed business addresses are most often mailing addresses. Please contact a Packers and Stockyards Division (PSD) regional office with any questions concerning these lists.

How to File a Bond Claim (PDF; 250Kb) (Print Version) (PDF; 475KB)

Entities whose Registration has Expired under the Packers and Stockyards Act

National Listing

  • PDF (February 1, 2019) (67Kb)
  • XLSX (February 1, 2019) (14Kb)

Frequently Asked Questions About Regulated Entities

Who is NOT Subject to the Packers and Stockyards Act?

Farmers and ranchers are not subject to the Act when buying livestock for their own stocking or feeding purposes, or when marketing their own livestock.

Who is Subject to the Packers and Stockyards Act?

Those engaged in the business of marketing livestock, meat, and poultry in commerce are subject to the Packers and Stockyards Act. Regulated entities include stockyard owners, market agencies, dealers, packers, swine contractors, and live poultry dealers.

A business may be classified as a

Market Agency, if it

  • buys or sells livestock on a commission basis, or
  • furnishes stockyard services.

Dealer, if it

  • buys and sells livestock either on its own account or as the employee or agent of the vendor or purchaser.

Packer, if it

  • buys livestock for slaughter,
  • manufactures or prepares meats or meat food products for sale or shipment, or
  • markets meats, meat food products, or livestock products in an unmanufactured form acting as a wholesale broker, dealer, or distributor

Live Poultry Dealer, if it

  • purchases live poultry,
  • obtains live poultry under a poultry growing arrangement for slaughter or sells it for slaughter by another.

Swine Contractor, if it

  • obtains swine under a swine production contract for slaughter or sells it for slaughter by another.

What responsibilities do regulated entities have under the Act?

Select from the list below to see summary lists of responsibilities by type of entity:

Who is required to register and obtain bond coverage?

Market agencies and dealers must register with AMS's Packers and Stockyards Division (PSD) and obtain sufficient bond coverage before operating. Packers that purchase over $500,000 of livestock a year must have a sufficient bond in place to operate. "Bond" refers to either a surety bond or its financial equivalent.

Bond Trustees and Sureties

If a regulated entity doesn't have a registration requirement, what information does it have to provide to PSD?

All packers and live poultry dealers must provide PSD with information about their business operations by completing an inquiry form.

Registration, inquiry, and bond forms are available on this website. Forms must be completed by hand and mailed to the nearest regional office for processing. For more guidance on the information that is required of regulated entities, please contact the nearest PSD regional office.